The NativeScript framework has a vibrant community that’s here to help when you run into problems.
If you hit an issue, start by seeing if anyone else has reported the problem on Stack Overflow or the deprecated NativeScript community forum. If you can’t find any information, try creating a new question on Stack Overflow with any details needed to recreate the issue.
If you’ve found an issue with the NativeScript framework itself, please report the problem in the appropriate GitHub repository.
- NativeScript CLI
- NativeScript modules
- NativeScript documentation
- NativeScript iOS runtime
- NativeScript Android runtime
When you find a bug or crash in NativeScript there are some additional diagnostic logs that can be very useful in tracking down the reasons behind the faulty behavior. Depending on the component which could be responsible, there are different settings that you can switch.
You can use the
--log trace option of
tns to enable the most detailed diagnostic output. The accepted values of the
log option are
trace (in increasing detailness)
tns build ios --log trace
If you suspect that the Android Runtime behaves incorrectly you can enable verbose output of its actions by calling the
__enableVerboseLogging function in your main
app.js file. If your project is written in TypeScript, you'll have to
declare the function before calling it.
declare var __enableVerboseLogging : any; __enableVerboseLogging();
Afterwards you should launch your application and reproduce the issue:
- Clear the device's logcat by executing
adb logcat -c
- Start the application and perform the steps required to reproduce the problem
- Save the logcat to a text file by executing
adb logcat -d >logcat.txt
- Open and analyze the generated
logcat.txtfile or attach it to your issue in GitHub if you need assistence.
In order to obtain device logs you can use the Console application
- Select your device from the left-hand side pane
- Press the
Clearbutton from the toolbar
- Launch the application and reproduce the problem
- Click in the messages pane of
- Select all (
Edit | Select Allfrom the menu or
- Copy (
Edit | Copyfrom the menu or
- Open a new file in
TextEditor your text editor of choice
- Paste the copied text and save the file
- Analyze the file or attach it to your GitHub issue in order to get assistence